ws-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject 19 subprojects
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:00:55 GMT

Hi,

given the reason proposal about incubating Tuscany, I would like to drop
some thoughts about the ws project in general.

Assuming that Tuscany will be accepted, we'll soon have 19 subprojects.
In other words, we aren't becoming a second Jakarta: We are.

I have never been a member of the Jakarta community. I know that it was
once attracting new subprojects like a vacuum. But I also know, that
relationship was lost more and more and problems got increasing.

Obviously, the ws project is currently similar to that first phase.
However, my impression is that we are also approaching the second stage.
For example, I am absolutely unable to keep oversight of the projects:
What are they doing? Who are the members? Is there anyone, besides Dims,
who's still got the large picture?

To me, it would be good to rethink the projects structure. Could we
bundle subprojects? Are there candidates for top level projects? Axis is
large enough. JaxMe and XML-RPC are separated by topic, but much, much
too inactive and small. Other ideas?

Sorry, if this is simply me. And sorry for not offering real ideas.
(Which is possibly a true sign that I am either too soon or am not the
right person to ask.)

Jochen