ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Trivial Update of "Tuscany/TuscanyJava/Roadmap" by edslattery
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:16:36 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by edslattery:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/Roadmap

New page:
= Short Term Roadmap =

Here is a short term roadmap to our first Tuscany/Java Milestone. This is a summary of the
discussion we had on the tuscany-dev mailing list, see [http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200602.mbox/%3c43E11F55.6040401@apache.org%3e
Roadmap for the next few weeks] and the follow up discussion thread in the tuscany-dev mail
archive for all the details.

'''This is NOT a project plan. This is just a list of the areas that we would like to focus
on, to help people in the group find areas where they can contribute.'''

== Core Module assembly model ==
  * align implementation with a subset of SCA 0.9 (the implementation diverges from SCA 0.9
in some areas today)
  * support for module and fragment SCDL
  * support for componentType
  * no multiplicity
  * simple properties only, no complex properties
  * support for both Java and WSDL interfaces

== Subsystem assembly model ==
  * support for subsystem SCDL
  * moduleComponents only no externalService and entryPoint at the subsystem level
  * support for wiring/specifying endpoints on externalServices
  * support for overriding properties of moduleComponents
  * on Tomcat, subsystem maps to a Tomcat instance, moduleComponent maps to a Web app
  * in J2SE, you can run a single moduleComponent

== Client and implementation model ==
  * align implementation with a subset of SCA 0.9
  * support for SDO2 as well as regular Java objects
  * basic scope management (request, session, module)
  * no metadata API
  * no request context
  * no session id
  * no service references
  * no conversational, no callbacks

== Runtime architecture improvements ==
  * remove Tuscany``Module``Component``Context``Impl, transition to new context architecture
and make sure model, loaders, builders, config and context are decoupled
  * Fix how proxying and invocation chains works, distinguish source and target proxies /
invocation chains

== Development Tools ==
  * WSDL2``Java and Java2WSDL generators
  * XSD2SDO and Java2SDO generators
  * both in the form of API and maven plugins

== Bindings ==
  * web service binding using AXIS2 (SOAP/HTTP, doc literal only, support for streaming) -
''Ant''
  * we can live with just a WS binding for now and look at the default SCA binding later (maybe
it'll just be a variation of the WS binding with some defaults anyway)
  * pluggable data-binding working with AXIS2 (start with regular Java objects and SDO)
  * investigate how we can leverage AXIOM to implement an XML binding for SDO (independent
of the web service binding)
  * JMS binding

== Data Access Service ==
  * complete the transition to SDO2
  * DAS integrated into Big``Bank sample
  * best-practice DAS sample (stand-alone and SCA-integrated)
  * datasource definition in config file
  * tools support - export metadata - return the SDO Types and/or write an XML file that contains
the types created from the config + resultSetMetadata

== SDO ==
  * code generator improvements to support SCA usage
  * model registration/config mechanism
  * update project overview documentation

== Extensibility ==
  * support contribution of a new binding (I'm thinking about a sample HTTP binding to illustrate
that)
  * support contribution of a new component type (Ant's sample Javascript component type)

== Admin ==
  * just doc or basic tools (maven plugin?) to install/uninstall a subsystem and module component
  * just doc or basic tools to start/stop a subsystem and module component
  * wiring, configuration of module component properties require editing SCDL file and bouncing
the subsystem
  * simple monitoring/logging

== Target environments ==
  * JDK 5.0
  * Tomcat
  * J2SE

== Samples ==
  We need samples for most of the items in this list to illustrate how various user roles
will use Tuscany (app. developer, assembler, deployer-admin, system-developer who wants to
extend or integrate with Tuscany) and help drive all this work from concrete scenarios.

= Longer Term Roadmap =

''This is TBD. I'll initiate a discussion on the longer term roadmap on the tuscany-dev list
shortly.''