ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Trivial Update of "Tuscany/TuscanyJava/GetTuscany/Linux" by edslattery
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:32:14 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by edslattery:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/GetTuscany/Linux

New page:
= Building Tuscany on Linux =

This document describes the detailed steps to setup your system, download the Tuscany source
code, build the Tuscany runtime and run two SCA samples, a simple J2SE program and a Web application
invoking a Hello``World SCA service.

These instructions have been tested on a Red``Hat Linux Enterprise 4 system and a Fedora Core
5 system.

= System requirements =
  * '''Red``Hat Enterprise Linux 4''' - These instructions are for a Red``Hat Enterprise Linux
4 system. If you're running Windows, follow the steps described on our [wiki:Self/Tuscany/GetTuscany/WinXP
Windows] page.
  * '''Java JDK 5.0 update 06''' - Tuscany is written in Java, and has been tested with this
level of JDK.
  * '''Apache Maven 2.0.4 and Apache Ant 1.6.5''' - We are using Maven 2 to build Tuscany,
plus a few Ant scripts.
  * '''Subversion 1.3.0''' - The Tuscany source code is stored in a Subversion (SVN) repository,
you need Subversion to download it.
  * '''Apache Tomcat 5.5.16''' - This is the Web container that we integrate with, to allow
you to use the SCA programming model in Web applications.

= Creating a tuscany directory =
Open a terminal window, then from the shell prompt create a tuscany directory as follows:
{{{
mkdir ~/tuscany
cd ~/tuscany
}}}

This is the directory where we're going to download the Tuscany code as well as the tools
and packages required to build and run Tuscany.

= Downloading and installing the Java JDK 5.0 =
Point your Web browser to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp.

Select "Download JDK 5.0 Update 6".

Accept the License agreement, then select Linux self-extracting file - jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin.

Download jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin to the ~/tuscany directory.

>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
chmod +x ./jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin
./jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin
}}}
This will extract the Java JDK 5.0 to tuscany/jdk1_5_0_06.

Modify your user profile ($HOME/.bashrc if you're using bash) and add the following lines:
{{{
JAVA_HOME=~/tuscany/jdk1.5.0_06
export JAVA_HOME
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
}}}

= Downloading and installing Apache Maven 2.0.4 =
Point your Web browser to http://maven.apache.org/download.html.

Select "Maven 2.0.4 (tar.gz) - maven-2.0.4-bin.tar.gz".

Download maven-2.0.4-bin.tar.gz to the ~/tuscany directory.

>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
tar xzvf maven-2.0.4-bin.tar.gz
}}}
This will extract Maven 2.0.4 to the ~/tuscany/maven-2.0.4 directory.

Modify your user profile and add the following lines:
{{{
MVN_HOME=~/tuscany/maven-2.0.4
export MVN_HOME
PATH=$MVN_HOME/bin:$PATH
}}}

= Downloading and installing Apache Ant 1.6.5 =
Point your Web browser to http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi.

Select ".tar.gz archive: apache-ant-1.6.5-bin.tar.gz".

Download apache-ant-1.6.5-bin.tar.gz to the ~/tuscany directory.

>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
tar xzvf apache-ant-1.6.5-bin.tar.gz
}}}
This will extract Ant 1.6.5 to the ~/tuscany/apache-ant-1.6.5 directory.

Modify your user profile and add the following lines:
{{{
ANT_HOME=~/tuscany/apache-ant-1.6.5
export ANT_HOME
PATH=$ANT_HOME/bin:$PATH
}}}

= Downloading and installing Subversion 1.3.0 =
Note. Fedora Core 5 comes with the subversion 1.3.1 client so you can skip this step.

Point your Web browser to http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html.

Pick a Subversion RPM package for your system, for example for a Red``Hat Enterprise Linux
4 system pick http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/bin/subversion-1.3.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm.

Download subversion-1.3.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm to the ~/tuscany directory.

>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
su
}}}
(you need to be root to install the subversion RPM)
{{{
rpm -iv subversion-1.3.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
}}}
This will install Subversion 1.3.0 on your system.

You can now close your terminal window.

= Verifying your setup =
Open a new terminal window, then from the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
java -version
mvn --version
ant -version
svn --version
}}}

You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/verifysetup.jpg

You are now ready to check out the Tuscany source code.

= Checking out the Tuscany source code =

>>From the shell prompt, do the following:
{{{
cd ~/tuscany
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java
}}}

This should check out all the source code from the Tuscany SVN repository into the ~/tuscany/java
directory.

When the check out completes, do the following:
{{{
cd java
ls -1
}}}
You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/verifycheckout.jpg

You are now ready to build the Tuscany runtime.

= Building the Tuscany runtime =
>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
cd ~/tuscany/java
mvn
}}}

This will build the Tuscany runtime with Maven. Maven will download all the JAR dependencies,
build all the Tuscany sub-projects and run the unit tests.

When the build completes you should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/verifybuild.jpg

= Running the HelloWord sample =
To run the Hello``World sample you need to have the following JARs on your Java classpath:
{{{
~/.m2/repository/org/osoa/sca-api/SNAPSHOT/sca-api-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tuscany/tuscany-common/SNAPSHOT/tuscany-common-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tuscany/tuscany-core/SNAPSHOT/tuscany-core-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tuscany/tuscany-model/SNAPSHOT/tuscany-model-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/axis/axis-wsdl4j/1.2/axis-wsdl4j-1.2.jar
~/.m2/repository/commonj/sdo-api/SNAPSHOT/sdo-api-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tuscany/tuscany-sdo-impl/SNAPSHOT/tuscany-sdo-impl-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/eclipse/emf/ecore/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/ecore-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/eclipse/emf/common/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/common-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/eclipse/emf/ecore-change/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/ecore-change-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
~/.m2/repository/stax/stax-api/1.0/stax-api-1.0.jar
~/.m2/repository/woodstox/wstx-asl/2.8.2/wstx-asl-2.8.2.jar
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tuscany/sca/containers/tuscany-container-java/SNAPSHOT/tuscany-container-java-SNAPSHOT.jar
}}}

Instead of copying all the JARs by hand, you can use one of the Tuscany build scripts to create
a directory containing all the required JARs.

>>From the shell prompt, do the following:
{{{
ant -f ~/tuscany/java/testing/tomcat/build.xml -Dtuscany.acceptance.target.dir=~/tuscany/java/target
j2se
}}}
This will copy all the required JARs into directory ~/tuscany/java/target/j2se.

>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
ls target/j2se
}}}
You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/verifyj2se.jpg

You are now ready to run the Tuscany Hello``World sample. Do the following:
{{{
cd samples/helloworld
java -Djava.ext.dirs=$HOME/tuscany/java/target/j2se -classpath helloworld/target/helloworld-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.apache.tuscany.samples.helloworld.HelloWorldClient
}}}

This will run the Hello``World sample application, you should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/runhelloworld.jpg

= Downloading and installing Tomcat =
Point your Web browser to http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/tomcat/tomcat-5/v5.5.16/bin/apache-tomcat-5.5.16.tar.gz.

Download apache-tomcat-5.5.16.tar.gz to the ~/tuscany directory.

To install Tomcat, from the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
cd ~/tuscany
tar xzvf apache-tomcat-5.5.16.tar.gz
}}}
This will extract Tomcat to the ~/tuscany/apache-tomcat-5.5.16 directory.

>>From the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
ant -f java/testing/tomcat/build.xml -Dtuscany.acceptance.tc.dir=~/tuscany/apache-tomcat-5.5.16
tuscany.tomcat.fixup
}}}
This will configure Tomcat to use Tuscany and will install all the required JARs under the
Tomcat lib directory.

You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/tomcatsetup.jpg

You are now ready to start Tomcat and run the Tuscany Hello``World``Web sample.

= Running the HelloWorldWeb sample =

>>From the shell prompt, do the following:
{{{
cp java/samples/helloworld/helloworldweb/target/helloworldWeb-SNAPSHOT.war apache-tomcat-5.5.16/webapps
}}}
This will install the Hello``World``Web sample Web application.

To start Tomcat do the following:
{{{
apache-tomcat-5.5.16/bin/startup.sh
}}}
This will start Tomcat as a daemon process. You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/starttomcat.jpg

To verify that Tomcat is running, point your Web browser to http://localhost:8080.

You should see the Tomcat home page:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/tomcathome.jpg

To run the Hello``World``Web sample Web application, point your Web browser to http://localhost:8080/helloworldWeb-SNAPSHOT.

You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/helloworldweb.jpg

Click the Submit button, this will execute the sample Hello``World SCA service.

You should see the following:

http://people.apache.org/~jsdelfino/wiki/screencaps/linux/helloworldwebsubmit.jpg

To stop Tomcat, from the shell prompt do the following:
{{{
apache-tomcat-5.5.16/bin/shutdown.sh
}}}