ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Update of "ReportForJun2008" by GlenDaniels
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:40:21 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by GlenDaniels:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/ReportForJun2008

  === Notable Happenings ===

- New PMC members.
+ New PMC members - Rich Scheuerle, Jeff Barrett, Bill Nagy, Jarek Gawor, Amila Suriarachchi

- Summary of PMC discussion re: rationalizing the PMC membership.
+ We had several new releases, including Axis2 1.4, Axiom 1.2.6, Rampart 1.4, Axis2-c 1.4.0,
and WSS4J 1.5.4

- Summary of Sandesha / Mercury discussion.
+ Two discussions in the Web Services PMC were of particular note to the board since our last
report.  First, in the midst of voting on the new PMC members listed above, we got into a
conversation about the status of our PMC and the fact that we have a bunch of PMC members
who have been inactive for a loooong time.  As a result, I sent out a "probe" message asking
for the PMC membership to please respond if still interested in being a part of the PMC.
Most of the members responded, but a number did not.  It was our plan to "emeritize" the folks
who didn't respond, but I haven't yet followed through with this.  I believe my current plan
is to send personal mails to those who haven't responded and confirm that it's ok for us to
remove them from the PMC for now.  Of course if they wish to return at any time they'll be
welcomed with open arms.  Just wanted to run this past the board for comment.

- Releases.
+ The second interesting discussion revolves around some new code that WSO2 has written that
has recently been contributed to the Sandesha2 (WS-ReliableMessaging implementation) subproject.
 The new code is an alternate RM implementation built from scratch known as "Mercury".  Mercury
is built with an entirely different, state-machine-based core model, and solves some existing
problems with Sandesha2.  WSO2 has already released a version of this code, and needs to continue
maintaining it, while at the same time we'd very much like to see the developer cycles and
the codebases from both efforts merge into one if at all possible.  After some back-and-forthing,
it seems like the current plan is to a) get the Mercury code available to everyone for reference
(done), and b) start work on a new implementation, with participation from all interested
parties, that will carry forward the good architectural ideas from both Sandesha2 and Mercury
without necessarily relying on either code
 base explicitly.  This will likely be done as a "revolutionary branch" of Sandesha2, and
might become Sandesha3 or might be a newly named WS subproject.

  === Subproject News ===

  ==== Axis2 ====
+
+ 1.4 release.
+
+ Deepal's new book on Axis2 was published.
+
+ The team voted to move all future development of Axis2 to Java 1.5, dropping the requirement
for 1.4 compatibility.  This had been discussed several times previously but we're finally
biting the bullet and making the switch.

  ==== Commons ====