ws-dev mailing list archives

From Asankha <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 04:06:05 GMT

> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com
> <mailto:davanum@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Amila,
>
>     Why do you think Synapse went TLP?
>

> Honestly  I have no idea. But some one working closely with Synapse
> would give the exact Answer.
>
> On one hand Synapse is different from other WS common projects since
> it was graduated from incubator.
>
> And also if someone from Synapse can describe the pros/crons they got
> going for a TLP from WS commons project, that may help in this discussion.
So this [1] is the thread from where Synapse began its TLP process ..
the main message sent out being "..we have moved beyond webservices.."
as an ESB. From how I see it, it has been very good for Synapse to be a
TLP on its own, and to be out of the "Web Services" TLP which people saw
as pure WS-*

But interestingly, this has not solved some people issues.. for example,
even after I have officially informed the PMC's of both ServiceMix and
Camel, they live in the past and thinks of Synapse as quoted below,
which is really funny.. they probably feel threatened by Synapse :-) ?..

"/Synapse is more focussed on being a mediation engine for Axis 2;
assuming a web services environment with mostly SOAP as the payloads./" [2]

"/Building an SOA on Apache Synapse would presume that all exchanges in
the SOA would be made through SOAP-based Web Services, that the
management of the exchanges would be invoked exclusively by means of
WS-*, and that the underlying SOAP stack(s) implement the relevant
protocols./" [3]

The only con so far has been with moving of the code from the incubator,
to WS and then to the Synapse TLP.. which somehow got Ohnoh confused
<http://esbmagic.blogspot.com/2008/11/ohnoh-ohloh-got-it-all-wrong.html>
;)..

Being a separate TLP does not mean we do not cooperate with the rest of
WS.. infact we depend on almost all of the core Axis2 related projects -
axiom, xmlschema, axis2, rampart, sandesha, etc.. and sometimes changes
in these have affected us - but thats normal, and something we all must
expect and  deal with anyway.. after all we solve much harder problems
technically :-)

asankha

[1] http://markmail.org/message/zfw2nujxpodfafq4

[2] http://activemq.apache.org/camel/how-does-camel-compare-to-synapse.html