ws-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Axis2 as TLP
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2008 02:34:15 GMT
I am -1 (binding) on this proposal as it is.

I am not for, or against Axis2 becoming a TLP, but I am strongly opposed
to moving the transports to within Axis2, as it would make it difficult
to develop and release new versions of them independently of the Axis2
trunk and release cycles - which are known to be long and painful.

Apache Synapse folks developed some of these transports as they are
highly dependent on these, and they frequently require quick fixes at
transport level to be able to add new features and handle various
issues. Thus the ability to get a new version of the transports released
when needed is immensely important for Apache Synapse among other
issues. In addition as a developer, I have to admit that I hate to build
Axis2 trunk each time I want to commit changes to a transport, as it
takes ages to build and fills up the M2 repo and finally fails many
times due to various issues. The interface between a transport and
anything else is clear, and you do not need to stick it deep into a
parent codebase to keep both working.

We also have had length discussions on this for a long time, and
agreement from *all* the key players involved in this discussion, to
make the new WS-transports sub project outside of Axis2 - with
independent release cycles etc. I do not want to make this VOTE thread a
discussion, but wanted everyone to be aware on the effect of these
actions on those who develop and use this piece of software.

asankha

[1] http://markmail.org/message/uvhz22bqnkjq3wmf
[2] http://markmail.org/message/fr73nj32lchlgbxi
[3] http://markmail.org/message/okzimikvmbhimflr