ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Update of "ReportForDec2008" by GlenDaniels
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:08:05 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by GlenDaniels:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/ReportForDec2008

  === Notable Happenings ===

+ After the last board report, the board sent us an inquiry about WS futures and structure,
considering the wide breadth (the word "umbrella" came up :)) of the current project.  This
spurred a conversation within the PMC revolving around how (and if) we should split Axis2
off as a separate TLP.  Although there was some broad acceptance of the idea, the conversation
unfortunately devolved into some fairly acrimonious back-and-forthing at times, and we did
not reach a successful resolution.  We hope to revisit this in the coming weeks and try to
achieve some consensus.  In the meanwhile it's business as usual.
+
+ As part of that conversation, it was noted that we really should do a review of our sub-projects
and see which ones need a) to be retired, b) a new injection of effort, or c) to be split
off into TLPs.  This will be happening in early 2009.
+
+ We have several new committers, including Danushka Menikkumbura, Dave Parsons, Chris Twiner,
Benson Margulies and Dan Kulp.
+
+ We welcomed Nandana Mihindukulasooriya to the PMC.
+
+ Sadly, Dims has once again decided to take a break from the WS project.  We wish him well
and fervently hope he is able to return in the future.
+
+ Activity levels have been pretty standard for us, which is to say bursty.
+
  === Code Releases [since the last report] ===

- XmlSchema release 1.4.3: bugfixes and performance, driven in part by interoperation with
CXF.
+  * XmlSchema release 1.4.3: bugfixes and performance, driven in part by interoperation with
CXF.
-

  === Subproject News ===

- No news below means nothing particularly notable for the board occurred this quarter.
+ (No news below means nothing particularly notable for the board occurred this quarter)

  ==== Apache Axis2 ====
  Apache Axis2 is the third generation Web service framework of the Apache Web service stack.
 A highly extensible message processing engine focused on SOAP messages, it includes plugins
for services, transports, MessageReceivers, and Modules (message interceptors).
+
+ Axis2 is in the process of pulling together a 1.5 release.  Many of the WSO2 guys are flat-out
on a development effort there, so there are only a few of us working it.  However it's mostly
just a few bug fixes and getting the good work that's already happened post-1.4.1 into an
official release.  Hope to release a beta by Dec 20, and perhaps get the release out the door
by the end of the year.

  ==== Kandula ====
  Apache Kandula is an implementation of Web Services Coordination, Atomic Transaction and
Business Activity protocols. The project provides implementations for both Apache Axis (kandula-1
branch) and Apache Axis2 (kandula-2 branch) platforms.
@@ -64, +77 @@

  ==== Apache WS-Commons ====

- The XmlSchema subproject acquired two new committers.
+ Apache WS-Commons is a collection of projects that are primarily used as parts of various
WS projects but useful even outside the WS space. WS-Commons houses Apache Axiom - the streaming
XML object model, Apache XmlSchema -  an object model to manipulate XML schema documents,
Apache Neethi - the WS-Policy implementation and various other smaller projects such as tcpmon.

- Apache WS-Commons is a collection of projects that are primarily used as parts of various
WS projects but useful even outside the WS space. WS-Commons houses Apache Axiom - the streaming
XML object model, Apache XmlSchema -  an object model to manipulate XML schema documents,
Apache Neethi - the WS-Policy implementation and various other smaller projects such as tcpmon.
+ The XmlSchema subproject acquired two new committers from CXF-land, and did a new release.

  ==== Apache Muse ====
  Apache Muse is a Java implementation of WS-ResourceFramework, WS-Notification, and WS-DistributedManagement.
It provides code generation tools and APIs that aid users in creating standards-compliant
interfaces for manageable resources. Muse-based interfaces can be deployed in a J2EE or OSGi
environment.