ws-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release wss4j-1.5.6
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:55:17 GMT

Glen,

As Colm mentioned,  there is a patch on the Jira already.  (actually, Colm
could just commit it probably, but I suppose having someone look at it is a
good idea)

Basically, this is a bug in Rampart.   Rampart is suffering from the same
"blindly strip the first char" problem that wss4j did.  If you put some
printlns in the rampart token store, with 1.5.5, you can see:

add: 7EA37A075C8888C7BE12367220453773
add: #sctId-1176318351
get: #sctId-1176318351: org.apache.rahas.Token@364e50ee
get: 7EA37A075C8888C7BE12367220453773: org.apache.rahas.Token@420253af
Service invoked
get: sctId-1176318351: org.apache.rahas.Token@420253af
get: EA37A075C8888C7BE12367220453773: org.apache.rahas.Token@364e50ee

The last line is the tell tale sign.  That ID is NOT a valid token ID, but the
token store is finding a token for it.   That's probably some sort of security
violation or something.  Not sure how exploitable it is.    What's worse, in
SOME cases, if you pass the VALID id in, the store doesn't find the token for
it.

Actually, I would take the patch one furthur and update the
STSClient.findIdentifier method to check the unattached first instead of the
attached.   With that, all the "add" calls would be with the full id and not
the wsu:Id.  The lookups later would be a bit quicker then as well.

My recommendation would be to get wss4j 1.5.6 out and then follow it up with a
rampart release that fixes those issues.

Dan