ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Update of "FrontPage/WebServicesPMCReorg" by AndreasVeithen
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:03:51 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by AndreasVeithen:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/WebServicesPMCReorg

  ''Comments:''
   * dkulp:  Also add tcpmon to WS-Commons - seems to be fairly actively maintained.  (At
least I see a bunch of commits recently, which is a good thing)
+  * veithen: I agree with the overall proposal, but I'm against keeping the name "WS-Commons"
for the new TLP. The main reasons is that as noted below, Axiom and XmlSchema have potential
for growth, but for this to happen, we need to make it clear to potential users that these
projects are not strictly Web Service related, but have a larger scope. I like the proposal
to brand this TLP as "Axiom" as proposed in "Split it #2", but of course my opinion is a bit
biased. In addition, I would like to propose two new subprojects that would naturally fit
into the new TLP, but which are also not strictly Web Service related:
+    * I noticed that in the various WS related projects (Axis2, Synapse, CXF, etc.), there
is lot of code implemented to satisfy specific needs when working with StAX (utility classes,
XMLStreamReader/Writer wrappers, code that bridges between StAX and SAX/DOM, etc.). I think
it would be a good idea to create a new project that centralizes this kind of code so that
it can be reused across the different projects. The aim of the project would be to become
_the_ place to look for StAX-related utilities and the focus would be on delivering code that
is well documented, having a well-defined behavior and that is thoroughly tested. The project
would also have the potential to increase the interaction between members of the different
communities.
+    * I'm not sure if that is reasonable, but it might be interesting to move (parts of)
the ADB code out of Axis2 into a separate project, so that this databinding framework becomes
available for use cases not related to Axis2 (or Web Services in general). If we can increase
the user base of ADB, in the end this would also be beneficial for Axis2. Note that if we
call the TLP "Axiom", then we even don't need to change the acronym...

  ''Supporters:''
   * dkulp (with the changes in my above comment)
@@ -56, +59 @@

   * gawor
   * TomJ
   * bimargulies
+  * veithen (with the changes in my above comment)

  === Split it #2 ===