ws-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ws Wiki] Update of "FrontPage/WebServicesPMCReorg" by AndreasVeithen
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:00:40 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by AndreasVeithen:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/WebServicesPMCReorg

     * I noticed that in the various WS related projects (Axis2, Synapse, CXF, etc.), there
is lot of code implemented to satisfy specific needs when working with StAX (utility classes,
XMLStreamReader/Writer wrappers, code that bridges between StAX and SAX/DOM, etc.). I think
it would be a good idea to create a new project that centralizes this kind of code so that
it can be reused across the different projects. The aim of the project would be to become
_the_ place to look for StAX-related utilities and the focus would be on delivering code that
is well documented, having a well-defined behavior and that is thoroughly tested. The project
would also have the potential to increase the interaction between members of the different
communities.
     * I'm not sure if that is reasonable, but it might be interesting to move (parts of)
the ADB code out of Axis2 into a separate project, so that this databinding framework becomes
available for use cases not related to Axis2 (or Web Services in general). If we can increase
the user base of ADB, in the end this would also be beneficial for Axis2. Note that if we
call the TLP "Axiom", then we even don't need to change the acronym...
   * dkulp:  I'm completely opposed to calling it Axiom.  Naming the entire TLP after one
of the subprojects makes no sense to me.  WSS4J and XmlSchema (and soon Neethi)(not sure about
Woden) have absolutely no dependency on the Axiom stuff.   Also, the name Axiom is way too
tied to Axis2.  CXF ships with one of the Axiom jars due to Abdera and we quite often have
to deal with the "why do we need the axis stuff?" question.  Also, the maven groupId's for
the stuff is alread ws.commons. Thus, it makes sense to keep it that way from a purely maven
standpoint.  To put it another way, if the TLP is Axiom, what do we rename Axiom too to distinquish
it from the other projects in the TLP that aren't at all related to Axiom?
+    * veithen: Got your point. I prepared a different proposal (#4). Maybe we can get a consensus
around this one?
   * dkulp: I do agree about a common place for the STaX stuff, but that place probably should
be one of the Apache XML projects, not here.

  ''Supporters:''
@@ -61, +62 @@

   * gawor
   * TomJ
   * bimargulies
-  * veithen (with the changes in my above comment)

  === Split it #2 ===
@@ -95, +95 @@

  === Split it #4 ===

+ Phase 1:
+
+  * Promote Axis2 to a TLP containing Axis2 Java + C, Rampart, Sandesha, Kandula, and the
transports. (Same as proposals #1 and #3).
+  * Promote WS-Commons to a TLP containing Neethi, WSS4J, Woden and tcpmon.
+  * Promote Axiom to a TLP and position it as a general purpose, high performance XML processing
framework allowing developers to combine the ease of use of an XML object model with the performance
of pull-parsing based approaches.
+
+ Phase 2:
+
+  * Decide which if any of the remaining subprojects should be promoted, moved, or retired
to the Attic.
+
+ Rationale:
+
+  * Among the existing projects in WS-Commons, Axiom has the highest potential for growth
outside of the webservice community (simply because it has a much larger scope than the other
projects). To leverage this potential and to avoid misconceptions such as Axiom = Axis stuff
or Axiom = SOAP = Web Services, it is important to give it a brand that stresses its independence
from Axis2 and Web services in general. Since the Apache XML project is being dismantled (as
an umbrella project) and it wouldn't make much sense to establish it under the Xerces project
(different communities, no dependencies, no historical ties), the best would be to promote
it to a TLP. The activity within the Axiom project is comparable to other XML related TLPs
and it certainly has enough critical mass and maturity to become a TLP. The fact that other
Apache projects depend on Axiom in a critical way will help ensuring its continuity on the
longer term.
+  * Limiting the WS-Commons project to Neethi, WSS4J, Woden and tcpmon gives this project
a clearly defined scope: it will contain tools and (low-level) frameworks shared by different
Web service stacks. Also cutting the remaining ties to Axis (by leaving Axiom out) will make
it easier to achieve consensus among people from the different communities (see dkulp's comments
above).
+
+ Open questions:
+
+  * What to do with XmlSchema?
+
+ ''Supporters:''
+
+  * veithen
+
+ === Split it #5 ===
+
  (please feel free to add other proposals)