Guus,

You are on the wrong mailing list, but I'll try to help. 'Classic Apache', otherwise known as httpd, is a http server written in C.

Tomcat is a http server and servlet container written in Java. It can operate completely independently of httpd.

There are connectors that allow you to put httpd in front, passing selective requests back to a tomcat instance.

--benson