ws-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:34:04 GMT
On Tuesday 20 April 2010 7:54:27 pm Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hi Sanjiva,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> On 4/17/2010 3:37 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> > Glen, your proposal amounts to having gone thru a lot of pain to have
> > simply TLPed Axis. The entire board prerogative was to break up WS
> > wasn't it?
>
> My interpretation was that it was more "WS is too big" than "WS should
> entirely go away".  There are plenty of other projects at Apache that have
> a reasonable number of subprojects, with related functions and development
> communities.  I'm not yet convinced that there is sufficient community
> around some of the individual subprojects to bootstrap a happy PMC, and
> there also may be good reason to keep some of these things together.
>
> I think reducing WS from >17 subprojects in a two-level container down to a
> single-level container for 6 common Web Service related components would be
> a pretty good accomplishment... and nothing prevents that from being an
> intermediate step towards spinning off further TLPs down the road.
>
> I'm not saying I'm -1 to more TLPs, by the way, just exploring my
> off-the-cuff impressions.

Just want to say I completely agree with everything Glen said.  Well put.
It's also my understanding that getting WS down to a smaller, more
concentrated project targeting shared WS technologies would be acceptable and
really would no longer be an "umbrella" project.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org