ws-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:08:17 GMT
Hey y'all,

So as per my earlier mail to the dev lists, we need to talk about...

* Which subprojects should be promoted to TLPs?
* Which subprojects should be migrated to the Attic?
* What should the structure look like for what remains?

Here's what we've got to work with.

1. Axiom (commons)
2. Neethi (commons)
3. XmlSchema (commons)
4. Tcpmon (commons)
5. Guththila (commons)
6. JaxMe
7. jUDDI
8. Scout
9. Muse
10.Woden
11.WSIF
12.WSS4J
13.XMLRPC

Let's talk Attic first.  It seems WSIF and Muse have been pretty much
inactive for some time now, so I'd propose we get the ball rolling with
proposals to Attic both of those.  JaxMe also seems ripe for the Attic.

I think that it's pretty clear jUDDI and Scout should migrate together to a
new TLP, Apache jUDDI, with Kurt as chair.  Thoughts?

Does anyone outside of Axis2/C use Guththila?  If not, I'd suggest that
migrate to Axis.

Is there enough activity on XMLRPC to keep it alive?  Jochen?

Personally, I'd probably prefer to leave Axiom, Neethi, XmlSchema, and Tcpmon
as subprojects of WS.  I'd like to get rid of the "commons" layer, though,
since I think the "new" WS project should itself be a set of commonly useful
WS components.  I know other ideas have been discussed for the commons stuff,
so let's start that discussion and get the various opinions out on the table?

That leaves Woden and WSS4J.  Maybe Woden should stay in WS?  As for WSS4J,
I'm not sure if it should stay or become a TLP.

So... what do you guys think?

Thanks,
--Glen

P.S.  Reminder - please fill out your sections of our board report for this
month if appropriate!