ws-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:54:27 GMT
Hi Sanjiva,

Sorry for the late reply.

On 4/17/2010 3:37 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Glen, your proposal amounts to having gone thru a lot of pain to have
> simply TLPed Axis. The entire board prerogative was to break up WS
> wasn't it?

My interpretation was that it was more "WS is too big" than "WS should
entirely go away".  There are plenty of other projects at Apache that have a
reasonable number of subprojects, with related functions and development
communities.  I'm not yet convinced that there is sufficient community around
some of the individual subprojects to bootstrap a happy PMC, and there also
may be good reason to keep some of these things together.

I think reducing WS from >17 subprojects in a two-level container down to a
single-level container for 6 common Web Service related components would be a
pretty good accomplishment... and nothing prevents that from being an
intermediate step towards spinning off further TLPs down the road.

I'm not saying I'm -1 to more TLPs, by the way, just exploring my
off-the-cuff impressions.

--Glen