ws-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: Apache MUSE (was: [VOTE] Retire Muse and WSIF to the Attic on muse-dev)
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:31:33 GMT
Agreed that it's a boundary case, however if these guys (I'm assuming their
team is at least a few people?) are up for trying to revive the project, I'm
at least willing to entertain that notion.  If they submit some serious code
(via patches at first) and are up to maintaining it, I'm personally OK with
doing some fast-tracking of the team as committers.

Is everyone OK if we hold off the MUSE resolution until our next report, and
see what if anything develops here?  So this month we'd submit the WSIF and
jUDDI resolutions.

Thanks,
--Glen

On 8/15/2010 12:26 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> I'd consider this to be a boundary case.
>
> On one hand, it is of course in the interest of anyone to have the
> project alive, rather than retired. OTOH, while Jonas has contributed
> some bug reports (4), including patches and has voiced on the MUSE
> mailing lists from time to time (4 times, exluding this mail), that's
> not sufficient for me to say "no problem, just make him a committer"
> without hesitation.
>
> And, of course, he still has the option to continue on SourceForge or
> something like that.
>
> Jochen
>

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Jonas Buys <jonas_buys@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a Ph.D. student working at the university of Antwerp (Belgium) on reliability
improvement of XML-based web services.  For our work, we are using Apache MUSE which we host
on top of Axis2 1.5.1.  Some of our students are also using MUSE for their master thesis.

>> We are afraid to see the vote that is currently going on to retire MUSE to the Apache
Attic.  By retiring the project, we fear that the consequences such as a read-only JIRA section
may impede further improvements of MUSE.

>> For some time now, we have been maintaining an internal MUSE build in which we have
patched open issues/bugs as we encountered them and improved parts of its implementation,
like we recently did for MUSE's default WS-SG implementation.  Furthermore, apart from fixing
occasional bugs and/or limitations, we are currently finishing an RC-status implementation
of the MOWS specification.  We would be willing to donate this code to the foundation (after
code cleanup and thorough testing).