ws-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [neethi 3.0.2] if root element is not a policy element
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:19:30 GMT
On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 01:46:14 PM C.h. Lee wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> Thanks for the good work, this library helps us a lot!
>
> In version 2.0.5, org.apache.neethi.PolicyEngine:
>
>     public static Policy getPolicy(OMElement element) {
>         return getPolicyOperator(element);
>     }
>
> Above method handles just fine if root element is not a policy element.
>
> In version 3.0.2, org.apache.neethi.PolicyEngine:
>
>     public static Policy getPolicy(OMElement element) {
>         return getBuilder().getPolicy(element);
>     }
>
> Above method throws IllegalArgumentException if root element is not a
> policy element.
> I suppose this is due to following fix:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NEETHI-12
>
> Question: Is the behavior in 3.0.2 by design and the behavior in 2.0.5 is
> a bug?

Yes.   Neethi is a library to parse/process Policy documents.  Thus, making
sure proper policy documents are passed in is important for the methods that
are supposed to actually return a Policy object.

That said, I had thought about adding method like:

PolicyComponent getPolicyFragment(Object)

or similar for parsing subsections of a policy document, but even that may
require the "root" to be a known policy, although that would at least allow
you to manually iterate over the child elements and process one at a time.

Just never got around to that.

--
Daniel Kulp