ws-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What are the available project ideas for GSOC 2013?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:54:32 GMT
Thanks. Here are some final remarks about particular points in the proposal:

“Apache AXIOM has gone through lot of changes, improvements and API
changes in its implementation”

Saying that there have been API changes is not entirely correct. 1.2.x
releases are expected to be backward compatible with previous 1.2.x
releases. For some particular APIs, the behavior has changed because
the original behavior was inconsistent or problematic. There have also
been problems with the existing Spring-WS/Axiom integration because it
used internal APIs not meant to be used by application code. However,
existing public APIs have not been modified.

“Comprehensively discuss this project idea with Spring-WS community.”
“Building a common agreement between AXIOM community and Spring-WS
community about the project idea”

This has been done with positive outcome. From what I understand one
of the important evaluation criteria for a GSoC proposal is whether
the student has actively discussed the proposal with the project
community and whether the proposal is endorsed by the community.
Therefore you should probably remove these points from the list of
prerequisites and milestones and instead summarize the outcome of the
discussion (i.e. that the Spring-WS community has indicated support
for the project), ideally with a link to the mail thread. Probably it
is also a good idea to add a link to AXIOM-447 and this mail thread,
to show that the proposal is endorsed by the Axiom project.

“A test suite that provides 100% coverage for the AXIOM/Spring-WS integration.”

Please replace “100% coverage” by “full coverage”. Realistically, for
various reasons one never reaches 100% (line or branch) coverage. It’s
the same as “full employment” in economics, which doesn't mean 0%
unemployment.

Sprint 1.6: “Extension of test cases, which are developed in sprint 6”

Should be “sprint 5” instead of “sprint 6”.

Sprint 2.5: “The profiling done in sprint 1 of  phase 2 will be used
to identify improvement in DOOM implementation and AXIOM APIs”

Should be “sprint 4” instead of “sprint 1”

Andreas