ws-dev mailing list archives

From Andun Sameera <andun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What are the available project ideas for GSOC 2013?
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:51:42 GMT
Hi All,

Arjen has replied to Andreas's mail like this,

Hi,

On 7 apr. 2013, at 22:21, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, I would like to stress that I made it clear on the Axiom
> mailing list that the project will not going to happen if the
> Spring-WS community has concerns or objections about it. Now let me
> answer the different points mentioned in your mail.

I have no objections, nor concerns; in fact I am quite happy with the
fact that this project is proposed. I just want to make sure we set
things up correctly before we get started.

> Regarding the circular dependency, I don’t think there is one. The
> current Axiom/Spring-WS integration only depends on the Spring-WS
> APIs, the Axiom API and the Axiom LLOM implementation (at runtime).
> The same will be true for the new Axiom/Spring-WS integration (except
> that LLOM may be replaced by DOOM). The new Axiom/Spring-WS
> integration would not depend on the existing one, and vice-versa.
> Therefore there is no circular dependency, at least not from a code
> point of view. Since the existing Axiom/Spring-WS integration is part
> of the same Maven artifact as the Spring-WS API, technically there
> will be a (Maven) dependency between the new integration (which would
> be in a separate Maven project) and the existing one. However, this
> would not cause any issues.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I was talking about circular artifact
(i.e. jar) dependencies, not code. Let me explain what I meant: The
spring-ws-core.jar currently has a compile-time dependency on the
axiom-api jar. If the new Axiom/SWS integration would live in this
jar, we will have a circular dependency, since the new integration
will probably need to compile against the SWS apis.

But from your response I gather that the new integration is going to
live in a new Maven artifact, and that is a perfect solution to this
problem. Just to be clear, this means that we will have the following
dependency chain:

axiom-sws-integration (the new artifact) --> spring-ws-core --> axiom-api

Is that correct?

> Regarding the future of the existing Axiom support in Spring-WS, I
> would expect it to continue to exist for some time. Actually it could
> stay there forever, but at some point one would probably deprecate it
> and stop updating it to most recent Axiom versions, especially once we
> start to work on Axiom 1.3. The only reason to remove it would be if
> there is a major change in the Spring-WS APIs that makes it too costly
> to update the code (which is probably not a likely event).

I agree: deprecation might be in order at some point, probably for a
new major version. The Spring-WS APIs have been pretty stable for the
last 5 years or so, so I don't expect any major changes.

> Regarding the reasons to host the new Axiom/Spring-WS integration in
> the Axiom project, there are of course some opportunistic reasons. One
> reason I proposed this project is because it is a great opportunity to
> improve Axiom itself. Currently the development of Axiom is pretty
> much driven by the needs of a small set of downstream projects, namely
> Axis2, Rampart, Synapse and Abdera. Although Spring-WS uses Axiom, it
> currently doesn't act as a driver for the development of Axiom. With
> the proposed GSoC project, I would like to change that, but for me
> hosting the code in the Axiom project is much more efficient.
>
> That being said, there is a very good technical reason to develop the
> code inside the Axiom project. Both the existing and the new
> Axiom/Spring-WS integration is/will be more sensitive to the Axiom
> version than to the Spring-WS version. If the current code was
> released as an independent artifact, then it would probably work with
> a wide range of Spring-WS versions, but only with a much narrower
> range of Axiom versions. In fact, when one looks at the history of
> Spring-WS JIRA reports, one can see that users frequently encounter
> issues when upgrading to a new Axiom version. Releasing the
> Axiom/Spring-WS integration together with Axiom would definitely
> alleviate that problem.

Ok, that makes sense.

Once again, I do want to make clear that I am fully behind this
project. If that didn't come across in my original email, I apologize
for any confusion.

Best regards,

Arjen

Also the GSOC's application process will be starting on 21st April. So
What will be the final decision for these approaches? I so that Arjen
has no objection for creating new Spring WS/AXIOM integration as a new
maven artifact inside AXIOM.

Thanks!

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Andreas Veithen
> [...]
> Spring-WS JIRA reports, one can see that users frequently encounter
> issues when upgrading to a new Axiom version. Releasing the
> Axiom/Spring-WS integration together with Axiom would definitely
> alleviate that problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andreas
>
> ================================
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have sent a mail to  Mr Arjen as relpy to above mail which he sent
>> me. I have added some point for his comments. Here is the reply he
>> sent me. what will be your comments on his points.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Answers are inline.
>>
>> On 26 mrt. 2013, at 18:59, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you very much for replying quickly. As I mentioned earlier this project
is focusing on rewriting the complete AXIOM support of Spring WS. So what are your comments
on this particular statement in the project proposal,

>>> "In its present form, the project proposes to create a new Axiom/Spring-WS integration
that would be maintained by the Axiom project, while the existing implementation is maintained
by the Spring WS project."

>> Well, I can certainly see a problem resulting from that approach if
>> we're not careful: circular dependencies. Spring-WS currently depends
>> on Axiom, for obvious reasons. If the new code lives in the Axiom
>> project, we can have a circular dependency, as Axiom will depend on
>> the Spring-WS APIs. I can see a couple of solutions to this:
>>
>> 1. Drop the Axiom support in Spring-WS. This might certainly be
>> possible in the future, but in Spring we have always had a strong
>> tendency to stay backwards compatible. If we require users to change
>> their configuration to use the new, Axiom-owned code, we will break
>> backwards compatibility. Also, the new API might not be completely
>> bug-free on the initial release, or behave differently in subtle
>> cases, giving users a reason to be reluctant to upgrade.
>>
>> 2. Host the new Axiom support in the Spring-WS project, possibly even
>> replacing the old Axiom support. From the proposal I gather that this
>> is not the goal, and I can respect that. I do wonder if there are any
>> technical reasons for doing so, since it would solve the circular
>> dependency problem nicely.
>>
>> 3. Implement an mirror of the Spring-WS APIs in the new Axiom support
>> project, making it trivial for me (or another Spring-WS committer) to
>> use the new Axiom support from within Spring-WS. Essentially, you
>> would create counterparts that mirror the interfaces in
>> org.springframework.ws.soap, which I would use in Spring-WS. To
>> illustrate:
>>
>> IN AXIOM:
>>
>> package org.apache.axiom.spring.ws;
>>
>> class NewAxiomSoapElement { // <-- does not implement Spring-WS interface
>>
>>   public QName getName() { // <-- does follow Spring-WS API (see
>> org.springframework.ws.soap.SoapElement.getName())
>>     // implementation
>>   }
>>
>>   // more methods
>> }
>>
>> IN SPRING-WS:
>>
>> package org.springframework.ws.soap.axiom
>>
>> import org.springframework.ws.soap.SoapElement;
>> import org.apache.axiom.spring.ws.NewAxiomSoapElement;
>>
>> class AxiomSoapElement implements SoapElement { // <-- does implement
>> Spring-WS interface
>>   private NewAxiomSoapElement delegate;
>>
>>  public QName getName() {
>>    return delegate.getName(); // <-- uses delegate
>>  }
>>
>> }
>>
>> If solution 2 is not an option, I would strongly recommend going for
>> 3. At any rate, solution 1 is not an option for me. Also, there might
>> be other solutions to this problem, so if you see them let me know.
>>
>>> Also I have gone through your code based to understand how you use AXIOM in your
implementation. Basically I have gone though https://fisheye.springsource.org/browse/spring-ws/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/springframework/ws/soap/axiom/.
I think that particular package give the integration of AXIOM to Spring-WS. Am I correct ?

>> Correct, that is where most of the integration lives. Note, however,
>> that we recently switched to GitHub and that the Fisheye URL still
>> points the old SVN repo. The correct Github URL is
>>
>> https://github.com/springsource/spring-ws/tree/master/core/src/main/java/org/springframework/ws/soap/axiom
>>
>> Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Arjen
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>> I have participated in GSOC 2012(My project was not selected to the
>>> assigned slots for that particular mentoring organization). So have
>>> the experience of application process. Basically most of the mentoring
>>> organizations have some per-defined steps for application process.
>>> Also they are publishing some template applications.(I think Apache is
>>> publishing such a application, but last time there was not such
>>> application) Students are required to fill that template application
>>> with there project proposal(Or create own application with the
>>> proposal) and submit it to Google's http://www.google-melange.com
>>> site. Then they can review the application until the dead line.
>>>
>>> So can I proceed with the initial steps of process of creating a
>>> application? Assuming I can apply for this GSOC project.
>>>
>>> Thank You!

They
Poutsma

Code