ws-dev mailing list archives

From Andun Sameera <andun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What are the available project ideas for GSOC 2013?
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 15:36:37 GMT
Hi All,

I have sent a mail to  Mr Arjen as relpy to above mail which he sent
me. I have added some point for his comments. Here is the reply he
sent me. what will be your comments on his points.

Hi,

Answers are inline.

On 26 mrt. 2013, at 18:59, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for replying quickly. As I mentioned earlier this project is focusing
on rewriting the complete AXIOM support of Spring WS. So what are your comments on this particular
statement in the project proposal,

> "In its present form, the project proposes to create a new Axiom/Spring-WS integration
that would be maintained by the Axiom project, while the existing implementation is maintained
by the Spring WS project."

Well, I can certainly see a problem resulting from that approach if
we're not careful: circular dependencies. Spring-WS currently depends
on Axiom, for obvious reasons. If the new code lives in the Axiom
project, we can have a circular dependency, as Axiom will depend on
the Spring-WS APIs. I can see a couple of solutions to this:

1. Drop the Axiom support in Spring-WS. This might certainly be
possible in the future, but in Spring we have always had a strong
tendency to stay backwards compatible. If we require users to change
their configuration to use the new, Axiom-owned code, we will break
backwards compatibility. Also, the new API might not be completely
bug-free on the initial release, or behave differently in subtle
cases, giving users a reason to be reluctant to upgrade.

2. Host the new Axiom support in the Spring-WS project, possibly even
replacing the old Axiom support. From the proposal I gather that this
is not the goal, and I can respect that. I do wonder if there are any
technical reasons for doing so, since it would solve the circular
dependency problem nicely.

3. Implement an mirror of the Spring-WS APIs in the new Axiom support
project, making it trivial for me (or another Spring-WS committer) to
use the new Axiom support from within Spring-WS. Essentially, you
would create counterparts that mirror the interfaces in
org.springframework.ws.soap, which I would use in Spring-WS. To
illustrate:

IN AXIOM:

package org.apache.axiom.spring.ws;

class NewAxiomSoapElement { // <-- does not implement Spring-WS interface

  public QName getName() { // <-- does follow Spring-WS API (see
org.springframework.ws.soap.SoapElement.getName())
    // implementation
  }

  // more methods
}

IN SPRING-WS:

package org.springframework.ws.soap.axiom

import org.springframework.ws.soap.SoapElement;
import org.apache.axiom.spring.ws.NewAxiomSoapElement;

class AxiomSoapElement implements SoapElement { // <-- does implement
Spring-WS interface
  private NewAxiomSoapElement delegate;

 public QName getName() {
   return delegate.getName(); // <-- uses delegate
 }

}

If solution 2 is not an option, I would strongly recommend going for
3. At any rate, solution 1 is not an option for me. Also, there might
be other solutions to this problem, so if you see them let me know.

> Also I have gone through your code based to understand how you use AXIOM in your implementation.
Basically I have gone though https://fisheye.springsource.org/browse/spring-ws/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/springframework/ws/soap/axiom/.
I think that particular package give the integration of AXIOM to Spring-WS. Am I correct ?

Correct, that is where most of the integration lives. Note, however,
that we recently switched to GitHub and that the Fisheye URL still
points the old SVN repo. The correct Github URL is

https://github.com/springsource/spring-ws/tree/master/core/src/main/java/org/springframework/ws/soap/axiom

Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

Best regards,

Arjen

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I have participated in GSOC 2012(My project was not selected to the
> assigned slots for that particular mentoring organization). So have
> the experience of application process. Basically most of the mentoring
> organizations have some per-defined steps for application process.
> Also they are publishing some template applications.(I think Apache is
> publishing such a application, but last time there was not such
> application) Students are required to fill that template application
> with there project proposal(Or create own application with the
> proposal) and submit it to Google's http://www.google-melange.com
> site. Then they can review the application until the dead line.
>
> So can I proceed with the initial steps of process of creating a
> application? Assuming I can apply for this GSOC project.
>
> Thank You!
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Andreas Veithen
> <andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is good news.
>>
>> I had a look at the next deadlines for GSoC 2013:
>>
>> April 8: List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the
>> Google Summer of Code 2011 site.
>> April 9-21: Would-be student participants discuss application ideas
>> with mentoring organizations.
>> April 22: Student application period opens.
>> May 3: Student application deadline.
>>
>> So we basically have one month to get your application ready. It's the
>> first time that I'm mentoring a GSoC project, so I'm not familiar with
>> that process. Did you already do some research to get an idea what is
>> involved here?
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Having a early discussion with Spring WS Community about
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIOM-447 is a important thing to all
>>> the GSOC participants. As Andreas mentioned the idea have to calibrated upon
>>> there comment. So thought to go ahead and initialize the discussion. They
>>> didn't have a developer forum or a mailing list but only two email address
>>> of the main developers. I have given below the reply came from Arjen Poutsma
>>> when I mentioned that there is such a idea. I think he is really intrested
>>> in the idea.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> AndunSLG
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That sounds very interesting. I definitely think Spring-WS can benefit from
>>> some attention when it comes to Axiom. I am certainly willing to help on the
>>> Spring-WS side of things, since that is my speciality. I can't help much on
>>> the Axiom side of things, though.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Arjen

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Andun S.L. Gunawardana
>>> Undergraduate
>>>
>>> Department of Computer Science And Engineering

> [...]
GSoC

I had gone

to participate in
So my query