ws-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AXIOM-367 :Improving AXIOMXPath to support XPath 2.0
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2013 18:44:30 GMT
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Asiri Liyana Arachchi
<asiriwork@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since there are no other processors which are object model independent, and
> because of the fact that the Axiom provides a DOM implementation I think
> integrating Psychopath Xpath Processor with Axiom is the option left if to
> give Axiom XPath 2 support.
> in the issue page you have mentioned that
>  "Because of (1) the work required to integrate PsychoPath with Axiom would
> be to ensure that DOOM has a level of compliance to DOM that is high enough
> to support PsychoPath. "
>
> what work need to be done to ensure this?

The process should be as follows:

1. Write some test cases that use PsychoPath together with Axiom's DOM
implementation. Ideally these tests should be integrated into the
Axiom build, but this requires that the PsychoPath library be
available as a Maven artifact from the central repository, which was
not the case last time I checked.
2. Identify the DOM methods that cause problems and that need to be
implemented/fixed.
3. Add test cases to axiom-dom-testsuite that provide test coverage
for these methods. The test suite in axiom-dom-testsuite is executed
twice during the Axiom build: once against Apache Xerces and once
against Axiom's DOM implementation. This approach ensures that the
covered code is compliant with the DOM specs (assuming that Xerces is
compliant).
4. Make the required changes to the DOM implementation to make the
test cases added in the previous step pass. If changes are required to
existing code, ensure that the code has enough test coverage to avoid
regressions.

Steps 2 to 4 would have to be repeated until the tests developed in
step 1 all succeed.

Andreas