ws-ews-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Smith <pet...@fast.fujitsu.com.au>
Subject I need to know the current status of EWS.
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:55:07 GMT
Hi devs,

The EWS project is of interest to me as a possible way of introducing
JSR 921 support to an app server. EWS is just one option. If app server
modifications are required for integration that is not a problem.

I hope to have the opportunity to study EWS further...

BUT

My managers are very doubtful about the "status" (finished? / ongoing? /
what %?) and "stability" (stable? / buggy? / what?) of the current EWS
project.

There are a number of reasons that would make them feel this way.

For example:

1. This dev mailing list is so quiet. Where are all the users?

2. The EWS documentation is old:

- doc ages in CVS seem to be mostly 5+ months. We have no idea if old ==
obsoleted.

- TODO.txt in docs dir seems to have a number of unfinished items. Are
they still unfinished or is the TODO.txt out of date.

- JSR 921 is not even mentioned in docs, only JSR 109.

- Client docs say "this part not implemented" for JNDI binding etc

3. There are no JIRA entries (ok there is 1). I understand that JIRA for
EWS is new, but even so it still it gives an impression of a lack of
interest in using JIRA and/or a lack of users, rather than a lack of
bugs. Is there any evidence otherwise?

4. There seem hardly any devs participating in this project (compared to
Axis for example)

5. Probably many more concerns - but you get the idea.

~~~

Also, does EWS require any Axis source code modifications or does it
work by just generating Axis artifacts for Axis deployment using the
latest binary Axis distribution (eg Axis 1.2 RC3). I thought no Axis
mods are needed but I would like confirmation of this please.

~~~

If there are ANY reassuring statements (for the points above) about the
actual current state of the EWS project - anything that might put my
managers more at ease - please provide them.

Otherwise I expect my further study of EWS might be dropped.

And please note that responses like "a few months ago it was working on
JBoss" are just going to make them more nervous!

Thanks in advance,
Peter.

This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27 003 693 481. It
is confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed and may
contain copyright and/or legally privileged information. No one else may read, print, store,
copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive this email in error, please
return to sender. Thank you.

If you do not wish to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology
Pty Ltd, please email unsubscribe@fast.fujitsu.com.au