ws-muse-dev mailing list archives

From "Natale, Bob" <RNAT...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Eclipse COSMOS, Apache Muse, and IETF MIB2RMDL effort
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 19:41:03 GMT
Hi COSMOS and Muse communities,

[Apologies to those of you who receive multiple copies of this message via the addresses above
and esp. to those who have no interest in this topic.]

The work mentioned below, so long ago (it seems! :), has progressed to IETF Ops Area WG last
call as "Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML Schema Definition Language", available at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-04.txt.

Unless you have decided against it for some reason, I would appreciate your dropping a note
to the opsawg@ietf.org list in support of advancing the subject document to the IESG review
stage.

If you have decided against it for some reason that I can fix, please let me know.

Thanks,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: Ebright, Don [mailto:Don.Ebright@compuware.com]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:11 PM
To: Natale, Bob
Cc: cosmos-dev@eclipse.org
Subject: RE: Eclipse COSMOS, Apache Muse, and IETF MIB2RMDL effort
Bob,

Thank you for bringing this effort to my attention.  At a minimum, I intend to follow the
mailing list.  I can't give you an official response, but I will give you my personal opinions
for now and let the project give you a more complete formal answer later.

After reading the presentation, I believe that the goals of MIB2RMDL align well with some
COSMOS data collection component requirements.  In particular, a standard mapping between
SNMP MIBs and a SOA resource model is needed and I believe that IETF is a much better choice
to organize this standardization effort than attempting to do something ourselves.  A SNMP
proxy based on Muse would be even more useful as COSMOS has already committed to Muse and
hopes to be able to deliver such a proxy.  My primary concern at this point is that it may
prove somewhat difficult to achieve broad consensus on a common approach at the metamodel
layer, but that is not my area of expertise so I will leave that for others to ponder.

I suspect that you will receive an official response of some sort within the next week, but
for now, the best way to contact the broader COSMOS community would be a post on our development
mailing list cosmos-dev@eclipse.org.

Regards,

Don Ebright