ws-savan-dev mailing list archives

From Srinath Perera <hemap...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC Project Proposal] Distributed TCP Monitor
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2010 01:42:50 GMT
Hi nilupa;

IMO this thread has more than one concept. Initially, the version I
discussed with you is more of a message monitoring tool, which allow
an user to see which message goes through where in the system. It is
purely used for debugging services only, and a actually it distributed
TCP monitor that helps people debug their distributed application.
Features I had in my mind was to

1. Ability to turn on/off message interception
2. When tuned on, it show the system in a UI and let me see all
messages went through each link I selected.
3. If messages have a some ID that identify a message sequence, it
should let me select a message and find sequence that generated/ lead
to that message.

Basically, as I mentioned before, it is debugging tool and not a
monitoring tool.

Then, there is a BAM/System monitoring aspect we heavily discussed in
this thread, which is used to monitor a running system. IMHO they are
different,yet very useful. However, they are targeted at two audiences
and you should not do half of each.

Personlly, I am interested in both topics, and willing to
mentor/co-mentor either, however, IMO it two projects, not one.

Thanks
Srinath