ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Soum...@Atoga.com
Subject RE: Extra line appearing in Apache Response
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:46:47 GMT
I beleive this is not a a Apache SOAP bug. White space and
lines between tags should not matter in XML parsing. Please
refer to XML specification as shown below:
http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm

2.10 White Space Handling

In editing XML documents, it is often convenient to use "white space"
(spaces, tabs, and blank lines, denoted by the nonterminal S in this
specification) to set apart the markup for greater readability. Such white
space is typically not intended for inclusion in the delivered version of
the document. On the other hand, "significant" white space that should be
preserved in the delivered version is common, for example in poetry and
source code.

2.11 End-of-Line Handling

This is a flaw in client, IMHO. It will be "nice"
on part of Apache SOAP to avoid that empty line but it is
NOT a requirement.

On a related note, I am surprised and apalled by this kind of
" SOAP interop" problems. SOAP/XML has been there for quite
some time and still some commercial stacks has such trivial issues.

Soumen Sarkar.