ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Nichol" <snicholn...@scottnichol.com>
Subject Re: Problem in knowing which directory to compile and set classpath
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:56:37 GMT
Take a look at the Axis installation instructions at http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/install.html.
 Among the things there:

    "You should also have an application server or servlet engine and be familiar with operating
and deploying to it"  (that would be OAS9i)

    "servlet engines are supported, provided they implement version 2.2 or greater of the
servlet API"
    (I assume OAS9i supports 2.2 or 2.3)

    "Axis client and server requires Java 1.3 or later" (JDeveloper will install a JDK, hopefully
this recent)

And finally

A lot of problems with Axis are encountered by people who are new to Java, server-side Java
and SOAP. While you can learn about SOAP as you go along, writing Axis clients and servers
is not the right time to be learning foundational Java concepts, such as what an array is,
or basic application server concepts such as how servlets work, and the basics of the HTTP
protocol.

Things you need to know before writing a Web Service:

Core Java datatypes, classes and programming concepts.
What threads are, race conditions, thread safety and sychronization.
What a classloader is, what hierarchical classloaders are, and the common causes of a "ClassNotFoundException".
How to diagnose trouble from exception traces, what a NullPointerException (NPE) and other
common exceptions are, and how to fix them.
What a web application is; what a servlet is, where classes, libraries and data go in a web
application.
How to start your application server and deploy a web application on it.
What a network is, the core concepts of the IP protocol suite and the sockets API. Specifically,
what is TCP/IP.
What HTTP is. The core protocol and error codes, HTTP headers and perhaps the details of basic
authentication.
What XML is. Not necessarily how to parse it or anything, just what constitutes well-formed
and valid XML.

Axis and SOAP depends on all these details. If you don't know them, Axis (or anyone else's
Web Service middleware) is a dangerous place to learn. Sooner or later you will be forced
to discover these details, and there are easier places to learn than Axis.

If you are completely new to Java, we recommend you start off with things like the Java Tutorials
on Sun's web site, and perhaps a classic book like Thinking in Java, until you have enough
of a foundation to be able to work with Axis. It is also useful to have written a simple web
application, as this will give you some knowledge of how HTTP works, and how Java application
servers integrate with HTTP.
<<<<

Scott Nichol

specific mail lists.