ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Nichol" <snicholn...@scottnichol.com>
Subject Re: SAXSource vs DocumentBuilder performance
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:32:45 GMT
My tests comparing the two methods showed no net difference.  Each method would slightly better
the other in some tests, but in no test was either better by more than 10%, if I recall.

Scott Nichol

specific mail lists.
----- Original Message -----
From: "WJCarpenter" <bill-soap@carpenter.ORG>
To: <soap-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 5:31 PM
Subject: SAXSource vs DocumentBuilder performance

Some time back, post-2.3.1, this change was made to Apache SOAP:

      Add the ability to select between parsing XML using a
      DocumentBuilder versus a Transform from a SAXSource to a
      DOMResult on a per-Call basis.  This is on the client only.
      If testing establishes that the Transform offers a significant
      speed improvement, the server code may be changed as well.

I sort of recollect that there was a difference of opinion about
whether this actually made any difference or not.  Before I go off and
construct some tests to measure it, has anyone else already done so?