ws-users mailing list archives

From Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>
Subject Return value 'null' not supported
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:50:50 GMT
Hi,

I have a server method usually returning a native result of class
String.  Works perfect.
Until it returns "null"... For returning "null", I get the following error:

   Fatal error parsing XML: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: unexpected end
of file found

After switching the server into debug mode, I get:

   Searching for method: getService
   Parameter 0: class java.lang.String = lalala
   outparam = null
   java.lang.RuntimeException: null value not supported by XML-RPC
           at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpc.writeObject(XmlRpc.java)
           at
org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer$Worker.writeResponse(XmlRpcServer.java
   )

I can work around that of course... To improve org.apache.xmlrpc, think
about the following:

Is "null" not supported by the XML-RPC specs?

Is there hope that "null" will be supported by org.apache.xmlrpc in the future?

If "null" is allowed by the specs, can someone put this on a TODO
list/implement it?

If "null" is NOT allowed by the specs, maybe a developer can change the
error message a bit?  Instead "Fatal error parsing XML", I would prefer
"Invalid method return value 'null' by [NAME_OF_CLASS_AND_METHOD] - not
allowed by XMLRPC specs" or similar...

Thanks,

Martin Skopp
--