ws-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: How to build
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:34:53 GMT
Martin Skopp <skopp@riege.de> writes:

> Hi Developers,
>
> At 15:25 20.02.2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >It probably means that the version of Ant you're using is too old.
>>What's the output of `ant -version`?  I would expect Ant 1.3 to work,
>>and know Ant 1.4+ works.
>
> Shouldn't a decent version of ant be part of the archive (in a "lib" dir)?
> Together with a smart build.bat / build.sh (which invokes ant
> properly) in the root directory!?
>
> Don't know about any apache conventions, but that's the way we
> organise our CVS sources here...

As Jason says, it's much better to just install Ant.  How many open
source projects using `make` have you seen which bundle it?  That's
what I thought.

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/

The only reasonable need for bundling Ant is if you have non-standard
changes upon which you rely.  In such a scenario, on usually writes
platform-specific scripts to apply the custom patches and run the Ant
bootstrapper.  For XML-RPC, we definitely do not have such a scenario.

                             Thanks, Dan