ws-users mailing list archives

From ryan.cup...@kodak.com
Subject RE: Null Pointer Exception
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 18:31:52 GMT

From: Ryan D. Cuprak

I'll look into it using Optimize It - will take a bit of time (I am away
next week) but hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it.

-Ryan

"EXT-Raiteri, Ashley L" <ashley.l.raiteri@boeing.com> on 05/02/2002
02:20:07 PM

Please respond to rpc-user@xml.apache.org

To:   "'rpc-user@xml.apache.org'" <rpc-user@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:  RE: Null Pointer Exception

Ryan,
I used to get the same thing. I don't think we ever figured out exaclty why
it's happening.
Can you "catch" the exception and just ignore it? it doesnt seem to really
affect the behavior during shutdown.
I spent many days trying to trace the cause of it and couldn't run it down,
maybe someone else might know but I definately don't  (of course I didn't
have a java debug setup....)
What I do know is that the threads USED to not completley shutdown, they'd
just stay around, and during
my shutdown/restart (which was C++ JNI interface to the xmlrpc) I would end
up with dnagling threads...
Eventually you;ll run out thread handles, so we made some changes to make
sure that the threads did die during shutdown and that may have
unintentionally created a null pointer access.  Look in WebServer and see
if
there isn't some check that could be added onto any pointer dereferences to
check for null, that way whenever the access happened (obviously it is
happening prior to the final shutdown of that particular thread) it could
just slide by until shutdown completed.
ashley