ws-users mailing list archives

From "John Wilson" <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: xml-rpc webservices?
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:38:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Heath" <wgheath@fedex.com>
To: <rpc-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: xml-rpc webservices?

> I am talking about conforming to the wsdl, soap, xml, uddi
> specifications that .net, velocigen, glue, etc... are using.  You can
> find more about this at www.xmethods.net.  What confuses me is the
> difference between xml-rpc and apache soap.  If you can elaborate on
> this I would really appreciate it.  The other thing which I wanted to
> know is if there is some kind of middle tier or library for converting
> such attempts at implementing webservices specifications from one to the
> other for interoperability.

Well, XML-RPC uses XML (obviously!). However it's not SOAP. The XML-RPC
community seems to potter along without the need for global multi level
directory services. The stuff mostly works and interoperates (between a very
large number of implementations in a very large number of languages).

XML-RPC is a simple RPC mechanism which just aims to support remote
procedure calls over HTTP with relatively simple data. SOAP is a far more
complex (and rich) mechanism which supports both RPC and message passing
models over arbitrary transport mechanisms with and open ended data model.
XML-RPC is probably sufficient for 90% of the real world cases, SOAP is
probably sufficient for 95%. SOAP is one or two orders of magnitude more
complex. Both allow the implementation of Web Services. I don't know of any
interoperability layer. I'm not sure it would be worthwhile building one.

Does this help?

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk