ws-users mailing list archives

From "Simon Hardy-Francis" <si...@isv-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: xml-rpc for local communication ?
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:45:01 GMT
Dear Felix,

If I understand correctly then you wish to have n Perl processes calling a single Java process
which spawns a thread for each call, processes something in the thread, and then calls back
to the original Perl caller in order to pass back the results, right?

In this case both Perl & Java processes need to be set up as XML RPC servers (in order
to create this type of asynchronous calling behaviour which is AFAIK not supported by the
Perl XMLRPC implementations). One way to enable the Java threads to call back with the results
is to put the XMLRPC server of each Perl process on a different port. When the Perl process
calls the Java process then the Perl process can pass its port number as an argument, and
perhaps also a unique identifier in case it invokes more than one Java worker thread. This
way, when the Java thread calls back then it can pass the same identifier back as an argument
in order to identify itself.

Hope this helps,

With kind regards,

Simon