ws-users mailing list archives

From Paolo Campanella <pa...@mighty.co.za>
Subject Binary encoding (was: Re: Having problems with xml-rpc on the Mac OS 9.1)
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:31:42 GMT
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:16:25 -0400
"Rogers, Mike" <mike@technology3.com> wrote:

> Upon further investigation,  the problem is located in the parser. .We
> are using the MinML parser. We tried to compile xerces for 1.1 but were
> having problems. Has anyone been successfull with that?

Hi all

A possibly related question: I noticed that the XML-RPC "spec" says that
_arbitrary_ binary content should be encodable in strings. But the way I
read the XML recommendation, there are certain characters (<32 ASCII,
excluding whitespace) that cannot exist in an XML document, not even in
escaped format. This seems too obvious a problem, so I must be missing
something - could someone enlighten me?

This is from REC-xml-20001006:

Character Reference
[66]   CharRef ::= '&#' [0-9]+ ';'
       | '&#x' [0-9a-fA-F]+ ';' [WFC: Legal Character]

Well-formedness constraint: Legal Character

Characters referred to using character references must match the production for Char.

[2]   Char ::= #x9 | #xA | #xD | [#x20-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] |
       [#x10000-#x10FFFF] /* any Unicode character, excluding the surrogate
                           blocks, FFFE, and FFFF. */

Thanks

Paolo