ws-users mailing list archives

From "Rogers, Mike" <m...@technology3.com>
Subject RE: Purpose of Faults
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:42:00 GMT
Chris,

Your observation about how the fault is returned is correct.

A "fault" is used to return an error that happened during the execution of
the function. This error could occur during the transmission and decoding of
the RPC call (ie. "Method not found", or a connection refused error.

A fault could also be used to raise an error during the method's execution.
I believe any type of execption thrown by a server side method will be sent
back as a fault, and can be processed on the client side. I am not sure
where the XmlRpcClient.execute function will actually thrown an exception to
be caught. If not, I would think it should since you would like your client
side code to operate the same as it would with a local call.

I personally would use XmlRpcException to handle error on the
transmission/encoding/decoding layer, and throw normal exceptions from
within your functions. After all, the beauty of XmlRpc is that you can use
any previous code behind it. You wouldn't want that code to be dependent on
the XmlRpcException and thus on the whole library. Your code should sit
freestanding behind the XmlRpc library.

Mike