ws-users mailing list archives

From Martin Redington <m.reding...@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject Re: https
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:21:24 GMT

On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 08:08 PM, Devon E Bowen wrote:

> I need to run a simple XML-RPC server and I like the Apache XML-RPC
> approach since it lets me write in Java. The fact that it includes
> a lightweight HTTP server is also nice since I have no need for any
> other web services on this machine. However, I need SSL and I don't
> see a way to easily make HTTPS work.

The SecureWebServer class should support ssl, but I haven't found any
useful documentation, and I can't get it to work. See my previous posts
in the archives
(http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=70) for more
details. If you look further back in the archives, someone posted a
code snippet how to get some secure functionality working, but it looks
far fiddlier than it should be.

If you can get the security stuff to work, please let me know how ...

> I've made progress by running and Apache Web Server and installing
> mod_ssl into it. I want to then hand off all my reqests to Apache
> XML-RPC. Can someone tell me what module I need to install to do this
> hand-off? I was hoping to hand it directly to the Apache XML-RPC
> server running on port 8080.

You could try mod_proxy or mod_rewrite for Apache, they will probably
let you do what you want, although they can be a bit fiddly.

> Or do I also need Tomcat to get servlet
> capability and then need to run XML-RPC under that?
>
> Or, better yet, can someone suggest an easier way to get this going?
> Using the Apache Web Server for just SSL seems like overkill.

Personally, I would scrap apache (not that I'm not a huge fan), and go
with standalone tomcat, with a servlet to handle the xmlrpc requests.

I've got a neat generic little servlet that can register a list of
handlers whose names and classes are specified in a properties file,
and that uses Echo as a handler by default. I took the ProxyServlet
class from apache-xml as a starting point, and it took about 10 minutes
from there (I might be able to release this back to the project, if
you're interested).

Let tomcat handle the ssl for you (I haven't got round to that bit yet,
but I would hope that its fairly simple, robust, and well-documented in
tomcat) ...