ws-users mailing list archives

From "Mauro Canal" <mca...@canalsystems.net>
Subject RE: looong connection timeout if server down
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:28:36 GMT
Hello Jason

the timeout problem comes from the insufficient implementation
within the URLConnection class used in DefaultXmlRpcTransport.

there are two solutions for your problem:
1. execute the request in a thread for the XmlRpcClient and
   check the timeout.
2. create an own XmlRpcTransport implementation using the HttpClient from
   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/index.html.
   This client implements the timeout functionality.
   Take a look on the DefaultXmlRpcTransport class how to implement the
   deatils.

Mauro Canal
mcanal@canalsystems.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Wyatt [mailto:jwyatt@itree.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 8:30 AM
To: rpc-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: looong connection timeout if server down

Hi,

I used XML-RPC on a project recently and it was pretty good, except I had a
problem with a very long timeout if the server went down. It seems the
timeout was quick when we were developing under Windows (~30seconds) but
when we deployed to Solaris the timeout was around 3-4 minutes.This was a
bit of a problem because our client's remote devices which run the XML-RPC
server may or may not be available at any given time.

We considered changing the kernel socket connect timeout settings on the
XML-RPC client machine, but this seemed like a risky option as it could
adversely affect other internet services. I had a look at hacking the
XML_RPC client but gave up once I got down to http and couldn't see an
obvious connect timeout setting.

Is there an easy programmatic way of changing the connection timeout that I
am missing here? I would seriously like to use XML-PRC again on a new
project, but the socket timeout issue is a vote against it.

Any help with this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason.

 Itree Software         www.itree.com.au
 Ph (02)42263454        Fax (02)42263193