ws-users mailing list archives

From Gus Mueller <...@mu.org>
Subject getting back utf-8 data via xmlrpc call
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:25:24 GMT
I've got a servlet that I'm using with XmlRpcServer to call a class via
xml-rpc.  I'm sending utf-8 data to it, and that's working fine, but
when I try and get utf data back out, it comes out garbled in the areas
where there were multi-byte chars... I fear I'm doing something wrong.

I've already called XmlRpc.setEncoding("UTF-8"); in my servlet's init
method...

My code looks like this (in doPost):

res.setContentType("text/xml; charset=UTF-8");

byte[] result = xmlrpc.execute(req.getInputStream());
res.setContentLength(result.length);

String xml = new String(result, "utf-8");
System.out.println(xml);  // this prints out correctly, I can see the
utf-8 data just fine from the console

StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
sb.append(xml);

PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
out.print(xml.toString()); // this doesn't print out correctly.
out.close();

I've tried this with both jetty and tomcat, with the same results.  I'm
running on mac osx 10.2.6, jdk 1.4.1.   I've been debugging with curl,
telnet, and my web browser for a couple of hours now, and I'm about to
go nuts.

The strange thing is, when I print out the data via a doGet() like this:

res.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");
PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
out.print(new String(myString.getBytes(), "utf-8"));

everything works perfectly.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

-gus

--
August Mueller