ws-users mailing list archives

From Tanya Brethour <breth...@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Server side exceptions
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:21:06 GMT

> Well, XML-RPC has no notion of exception chaining.  For that specific
> behavior, I'd look into RMI.

Ok. I'd like to use XML-RPC so... I'll explore the option you suggested
below.

> In XML-RPC, I think the standard way to do this would be to create fault
> codes for each expected exception.  You can then branch on that on the
> client side.

Ok. So from what I have read on XML-RPC there are supposed to be some list
of predefined exceptions (although I am having difficulty find that), and
then I guess you can always create your own.

So, right now I am creating a WebServer, and then calling addHandler()
with a java object. Then it looks for public methods when doing an
execute. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the fault code with this
method.

I'm guessing the only way to implement my own fault codes is to pass the
WebServer a XmlRpcServer an object that implements interface
org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcHandler. Correct?

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for being patient with a newbie :)

-Tanya