ws-users mailing list archives

From "John Wilson" <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: XmlRpc.parse problems
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:17:36 GMT
Tanya Brethour wrote:
> Hello. I am getting a java.lang.NumberFormatException when calling
> execute on my client with specific parameters (the stack trace and
> debug output is below).  I am trying to call execute with 5
> parameters. Each of them is a string, but for some reason the parser
> is trying to convert the two date strings to integers. I need them to
> be strings and not integers or the date type, in order for the
> xml-rpc server to process the call. Here is the call (from debug
> output).
>
> Client calling procedure 'PIPES.NetworkMeasurement' with parameters
> [V4, STTL, DNVR, 20031102000000, 20031103000000]
>
> Anyone have any idea how I can force it to not convert the date
> strings to integers?
>

> Stack Trace and Debug:
> Client calling procedure 'PIPES.NetworkMeasurement' with parameters
> [V4, STTL, DNVR, 20031102000000, 20031103000000]
> Beginning parsing XML input stream
> startElement: methodResponse
> startElement: params
> startElement: param
> startElement: value
> startElement: struct
> startElement: member
> startElement: name
> endElement: name
> startElement: value
> startElement: struct
> startElement: member
> startElement: name
> endElement: name
> startElement: value
> startElement: int
> endElement: int
> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "20031103000000"

What XML-RPC client are you using? It is sending the "date" values as
<int>s. It's also sending the first parameter as a <struct> with the first
member being another <struct> with the "data" as the first member of the
inner <struct>.

You would be better off sending your "date" values as <string>s if you want
to use this format.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk