ws-users mailing list archives

From Gus Mueller <...@mu.org>
Subject Re: accented characters in XMLRPC arguments
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:01:12 GMT
Cristiano Fugazza (case@kount0.com) wrote:
> Hi, i'm just a newbie with xml-rpc but yours is a common problem with
> xml processing: no special characters, such as accented ones, can be
> handled with xml without expressing them as entities.

That's not totaly correct- you can express them as entites, but the xml
spec says that xml is unicode by default.  The xml-rpc spec originaly
said that only "ascii" was allowed through, but it has since been
updated to say that all unicode chars are allowed.

What I've done to fix this is patch the xml-rpc libary so it no longer
throws the exception, and I set the encoding to utf-8 via
XmlRpc.setEncoding("UTF-8");

passing -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 doesn't hurt either via the java command
line.

-gus

--
August Mueller