ws-users mailing list archives

From John Wilson <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: setEncoding broken? (Was re: accented characters in XMLRPC arguments)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:03:58 GMT

On 11 Dec 2003, at 19:51, Gus Mueller wrote:

> John Wilson (tug@wilson.co.uk) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> At one point in time the XML-RPC spec limited the Unicode characters
>> in
>> strings to be ASCII. The Apache XML-RPC actually limited them to be
>> ISO
>> 8859/1. Some time ago that restriction was lifted but the XML-RPC code
>> has not been updated to reflect this.
>
> Would it be out of the question to create a method like
> setUseAllUnicode(boolean) or something similar, that would flag
> XMLWriter not to throw an exception on chars above 0xff?  Or maybe if
> it
> saw that the encoding was set to utf-8, it wouldn't throw an exception?

I think that the best solution is to completely remove the restriction
that XMLWriter will not write characters with values > 0XFF. If we
support ISO 8859/1, UTF-8 and UTF-18 them we only have to use the
numeric character encodings when we are using ISO 8859/1.

It's a common misapprehension with XML that the encoding restricts the
characters that can be used. XML documents in *any* encoding can
contain *all* of the Unicode characters allowed by the XML spec.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk