ws-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject Newbie question on method matching
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:16:11 GMT

Hi,
I've just downloaded and installed xmlrpc v1.2-b1.  The quick
installation test works fine, i.e.

java org.apache.xmlrpc.WebServer
java org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient http://localhost:8080 echo test 123
indeed returns [test, 123].

I'm trying to replicate this simple functionality, so I wrote:

public class TestServer {
    WebServer webServer = new WebServer(8080);
    webServer.addHandler("echo", new Echo());
    webServer.start();
  }
}

public class TestClient {
    XmlRpcClient client = new XmlRpcClient("http://localhost:8080");
    Vector params = new Vector();
    params.add("test");

    System.out.println(client.execute("echo", params));
  }
}

Both compile fine.  I start TestServer, then run TestClient, and to my
surprise I get:
Exception in thread "main" org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException:
java.lang.Exception: RPC handler object not found for "echo": No default
handler registered
at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:457)

Why am I getting this exception?  It seems like the method name, "echo"
matches in the client and the server.  I know there's no default method
-- must there be one?

Thanks, and have a good weekend,

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics