ws-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Jellinghaus" <r...@nimblefish.com>
Subject RE: Xmlrpc and unsupported types
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:37:00 GMT
I had exactly the same problem.

No, xmlrpc does not support this out of the box.

I have written some fairly compact reflection-based code to convert Java
beans and Java collections into simpler structures that XML-RPC can
handle.  As a bonus, it converts longs, characters, nulls, floats, and
other data types not supported by XML-RPC.  I have also wrapped it with
a client-side java.lang.reflect.Proxy.  The end result is that you can
make calls that look and feel like RMI but that use XML-RPC behind the
scenes.

It works pretty well.  However, it is definitely out of scope for
XML-RPC.  Is there any kind of XML-RPC extensions package or other side
project that I could submit this to?  There's no doubt that many people
could make use of it (viz. Colin's email!).....

Cheers!
Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Bester [mailto:cbester@site-controls.com]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 2:32 PM
To: xmlrpc-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Xmlrpc and unsupported types

Not sure if xmlrpc is able to do what I require and would appreciate
some advice.
I am looking for a light method (application will be running on embedded
pc platform running linux) to allow transfer of java object via rpc.
In my application I have a collection of java classes (my objects) that
I want to transfer via rpc on demand from client. Objects (java class)
contain standard java types as well as my own java objects.
e.g.
Class someclass
{
        private String someString;
        private Integer someInt;
        private myClass someClass;
}
In the RPCHandler I want to be able to return 'someclass' object for
client retrieval.
On going through documentation I get the feeling that it is possible to
write ones own type handlers and would appreciate comment on whether
this is indeed possible and maybe some clues (links) on how to do this
(I haven't found reference on how to do this).
If this is not possible, is there any other suggestion besides
serializing object over socket connection?
Thanks,
Colin