ws-users mailing list archives

From Jim the Standing Bear <standingb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unable to build XML-RPC package
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:47:32 GMT
Hi Daniel,

In the binary distribution, all I saw were a few jar files.  would it
work if I just let CLASSPATH point to them? Or do I need to dump those
files to a certain directory?

See the problem is that in the README.txt file provided, if I were to
skip the BUILDING section, the only remaining section is RUNNING,
which says nothing about the jar files. I think the README.txt file
could use some work; in addtion, the src package does not compile and
that is not good either.

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:20:57 -0400 (EDT), Daniel <dantest@yorku.ca> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I'm sorry I didn't mention that the binary distribution was mean to be
> used "as-is".  By the way, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
>
> If you're just trying out xml-rpc, then all you need is the binary version
> and read up the docs (skip the "build" part if there's any, unless you're
> building from source).
>
> If you need to modify xml-rpc to suit your own needs then the source
> version is what you need, which can be retrieved as a tgz/zip file (from
> the download page) or via CVS.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Jim the Standing Bear wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > thanks for the reply. I also downloaded the binary dist. However,
> > after i untarred it, it did not even have a build.xml file.  The
> > included README.txt file, however, still says something about running
> > ant... so I am a little confused. can you give me some more guidance,
> > please? thanks.
> >
> > best wishes
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:08:19 -0400 (EDT), Daniel <dantest@yorku.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Unless you need to modify the source of v1.2-b1, you can download it from
> > > the distribution directory.  Here's a mirror:
> > > http://apache.sunsite.ualberta.ca/ws/xmlrpc/v1.2-b1/
> > >
> > > If you're up for it, you can check out the latest CVS source and set up
> > > your default.properties/building.properties file as below and then run
> > > "ant" which would build the jar files.  Note you might need to get some
> > > jars and point to their location in the .properties (see last few
> > > lines--I've placed the jars in the ./lib directory).
> > >
> > > # -------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > # D E F A U L T   P R O P E R T I E S
> > > # -------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > # These properties are used by the XML-RPC build.  You may override
> > > # any of these default values by placing property values in your
> > > # local build.properties and ${user.home}/build.properties files.
> > > # -------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > name = XML-RPC
> > > project = xmlrpc
> > > build.dir = ./target
> > > build.dest = ${build.dir}/classes
> > > build.test.dest = ${build.dir}/test-classes
> > > src.dir = ./src
> > > src.test.dir = ${src.dir}/test
> > > test.reportsDirectory = test-reports
> > > javadoc.destdir = ${build.dir}/docs/api
> > > jakarta.site2 = ../jakarta-site2
> > > jdom.jar = jdom-b7.jar
> > > docs.src = ./xdocs
> > > docs.dest = ./docs
> > > lib.repo = ./lib
> > > year = 1999-2002
> > > debug = off
> > > optimize = on
> > > deprecation = on
> > > final.name = ${project}-${version}
> > >
> > > # You must set these values here, or in your
> [...]

Standing Bear Has Spoken