ws-users mailing list archives

From Mark Frost <mfr...@hemscott.co.uk>
Subject XML-RPC via SSL via proxy server
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:13:03 GMT
Hello,

We are using XML-RPC over HTTPS from within an applet. It works fine until
the browser is setup to use a proxy server. In this case we get the
following IOException in the client:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to tunnel through proxy. Proxy
returns "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request ( The data is invalid.  )"
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:444)
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)

Our code does the following:

URL rpcURL = new URL(getCodeBase(), "/servlet/RpcServlet");
XmlRpcClient xmlrpc = new XmlRpcClient(rpcURL);
xmlrpc.execute(..., ....);

Since the applet jar files HTML page is loaded over https, then the above
rpcURL is https:// etc.

I have read that "Sun's Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE) library allows
you to access a secure Web server from behind a firewall via proxy
tunnelling. However, JSSE expects the proxy's reply to the tunnelling
request to begin with "HTTP 1.0"; otherwise, it throws an IOException"
(http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip111_p.html)

Could this be causing the problem?

Does XML-RPC allow us to overcome this problem? I notice that the
XmlRpcClient constructor allows us to pass in a XmlRpcTransportFactory.
Should we be passing an instance of your SunSSLTransportFactory?

Many thanks

mark

If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, retransmit or
use the e-mail and/or files transmitted with it  and should not disclose
their contents. In such a case, please notify netwebmaster@hemscott.co.uk
and delete the message from your own system. Any opinions expressed in this
e-mail and/or files transmitted with it that do not relate to the official
business of this company are those solely of the author and should not be
interpreted as being endorsed by this company.