ws-users mailing list archives

From John Wilson <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: Making handlers aware of requesting address
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 15:44:48 GMT

On 11 May 2005, at 15:45, Kevin Zablonski wrote:

> Is there a way to retrieve the IP address of the remote machine
> making the remote procedure call from within a handler?  I am using
> the default Webserver class to handle connections and a basic
> handler.  As it stands now, the remote machine making the remote
> procedure call is passing its own ip as a paramater, but I would
> like to not have to do this.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not without patching the code yourself.

Forgive me if you already know this but....

The server can't, in general, know the IP address of the calling
machine. The request could have gone through one or more NAT routers
and/or one or more caches. If the request is sent over the Internet
it's quite unlikely that the IP address the server gets is the IP
address of the machine making the request.

What are you using the IP address for?

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk