ws-users mailing list archives

From John Wilson <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: Non-blocking container for xmlrpc
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:16:06 GMT

On 19 Sep 2005, at 23:15, Dan Hermann wrote:

> Has anyone embedded xmlrpc in a container that provides non-blocking
> network i/o routines?  I need to handle around 7,000 open network
> connections for xmlrpc requests that would be handled by a much
> smaller
> pool of xmlrpc request handler threads.  The single thread per network
> connection model doesn't scale to that size, so I'm forced to look
> for a
> non-blocking solution.  I'm having a hard time identifying containers
> that would provide that kind of functionality.  Any suggestions
> would be
> greatly appreciated.

A new version of Jetty has been released which may be of interest to
you. See http://www.mortbay.com/MB/log/gregw/?

A simpler approach is to create the ServerSocket with a very large
backlog value (I don't know what the maximum backlog size would be on
your system - it may well be configurable).

If you want a single process to be able to have 7,000 TCP/IP
connections open at once then you may well need to change to OS
defaults.

If you give us a little more information we may be able ot offer some
more suggestions.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk