ws-users mailing list archives

From "Dan Hermann" <...@amip.com>
Subject RE: Non-blocking container for xmlrpc
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:38:55 GMT
John Wilson wrote:

>A new version of Jetty has been released which may be of interest to
you.
>See http://www.mortbay.com/MB/log/gregw/?

Thank you for the reply.  The "Thread per request" paragraph in the URL
above describes what I think I'll need for my application.

>If you give us a little more information we may be able ot offer
>some more suggestions.

Just to clarify, I'm building an xmlrpc server application that must
handle bursts of separate requests (up to 10,000 or so) from clients.
With a thread per connection model, that many requests kills the server.
I'll then delegate handling of those requests to a much smaller pool of
request handlers.  Strictly speaking, this isn't a problem with xmlrpc.
It's just that with xmlrpc's built-in webserver, the
thread-per-connection limitation is very apparent.  As you point out, I
think I can embed xmlrpc inside Jetty to eliminate that problem.  The
only additional consideration I can think of is the XmlRpcServer class's
limitation on the number of worker threads.  I'll have to throttle back
the processing of requests so as to not exceed that limitation.

Thanks again for the response.

dan