ws-users mailing list archives

From John Wilson <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: Unicode support
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:40:50 GMT

On 31 Dec 2005, at 14:15, Jimisola Laursen wrote:

> Hmm, I am not much into character encodings so bear with me.
>
> Is it not possible to change the default encoding for XML-RPC?
> About "the receiver implementing the XML spec..." - where do I start?

The XML-RPC client and server classes have get/set Encoding methods.

I have just checked and as of version 2.0 the default encoding is UTF8.

Are you implementing your own XML-RPC client? If so you need to use a
proper XML parser which will take care of the character references
for you.

If you are using the Apache XML-RPC implementation for client and
server then you really don;t need to worry about the encoding - your
Unicode strings will arrive unchanged. This should also be true if
you are using any other XML-RPC implementation, however there are a
lot of implementations out there and some may not be very good at
handling the full Unicode character set.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk