ws-users mailing list archives

From John Buren Southerland <j...@southerland-consulting.com>
Subject RE: Logging to SystemErr not acceptable.
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:32:51 GMT
Jennifer,
I am as eager to help add to this system as anyone else, but please try
not to force it to exist within your environment irrespective of how
others are using it.  Perhaps the issue here is to find a better
monitoring program that can exclude certain messages from being paged to
the people who are supporting it, in order to save them the constant joy
of seeking employment elseware. (Perhaps in a shop where turnover is not
initiated upon server restart)
I know at times it can be frustrating to get a solution to fit within a
ridgid corporate policy/framework, but that is hardly the burdon on
everyone using the library.  Perhaps you should look deeper into
configuring the log4j logger to do what you need with messages you
choose not to see.
I'm really not trying to be devisive, but you do seem pretty upset with
something that sounds configurable to me.
On another topic I will see if I can manhandle my user timeout solution
into the httpclient library and see if that core team likes it or not.
I believe the httpclient object can be accessed from a method within
XMLRPC so that timeout should apply here as well.  Unfortunately the 1.5
dependence tells me it may wait in the wings.  I doubt even that your
websphere app server is running anything newer than 1.4, so that may not
even help you.  In fact if it is running 1.3 socket timeout probably
isn't even supported.
Again remember this is opensource, so, ehh, maybe next week.....
Good Luck, John

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:57 -0500, Petersen, Jennifer wrote:

> I don't think the administrators of the application server would appreciate it if I redirected
the standard error output stream of their Websphere instances. :)

> Seriously, in the real world here. Our application is hosted on a System running Websphere.
Many applications run there. The administrators decide on the deployement configuration and
how logging is to be done. The administrators of that System monitor the logs vary closely.
The system is HA. People get paged in the middle of the night when errors get logged. People
get fired when system goes down.

> I stand by what I said. Logging like this is inappropriate in library code.
>
> anyways. its a deal breaker for me. but just trying to convince anyone who will listen
why  why you shouldn't be doing this.