ws-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a possible release schedule(roadmap) for 3.0 branch?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:38:31 GMT

Hi,

> New features of 3.0 are very interesting! and I wish to use it.
> Is there any possible release schedule for 3.0 branch?

> I'm using 2.0.1 with my own (servlet session aware) Transport impl
> using httpclient 3.0. I hesitate to use 3.0, but I'd like to finish
> my project on time and there's no release schedule and/or roadmap
> for 3.0.

> IMHO, the roadmap may help to (early) adapt to 3.0.

sorry to say, but there is no such thing as a roadmap, because it is
very likely, that the version 3 will see major changes in the near
future. On my list are:

- Split the project into three jar files: common, client, server
  (Done).
- Internal refactoring in order to achieve simpler and better
  maintainable code. (30%)
- Clarify and document, when vendor extensions are being used.
  For example, it might be required to send certain attributes
  in the request, before the server enables an extension.

Currently I would recommend you to encapsulate the XML-RPC client and
server in your code. That should allow you to switch forward or back, as
you like.

One note, though: 3.0 is an alpha version. That means, there is no
particular branch for bug fixes and the like. But that doesn't mean,
that this version is unsupported. If you report a bug, then it is as
likely to be fixed as in the stable versions.

Jochen